When was the last time you celebrated a small milestone or achievement? We are so busy juggling our to-do lists and getting on with everyday life we often forget to give ourselves a pat on the back. With the blogger world being as huge as it is, it’s even more important to celebrate the small milestones. So whatever you’re getting on with in everyday life, here’s seven reasons why it’s important to celebrate small milestones…
- Achievements don’t have to be huge things…Sometimes we see milestones as big, complicated or lengthy goals. Some can even take years to achieve. They are definitely the smaller things too.
- It helps to make a big goal more manageable…As I mentioned in my recent Time to Shine talk on confidence at the Lucky Things Meet Up, dreaming big is great but make the goals manageable for you. If you break up your big goals into smaller ones it feels much better when you see yourself making progress.
- Progress!…This word is one of my inspiring mottos. It’s important to recognise when you’re making progress. Things do not change overnight.
- Don’t get hung up on the figures…I am definitely more of a wordy person rather than a numbers person. It can be easy to start worrying about your follower stats or how many people have retweeted your comment or liked your Instagram post. If this is an important part of measuring your success that’s fine. But don’t be too hard on yourself if stats are not what you expected. You can also focus on the kind of comments people are leaving on your blog posts or Instagram pics. Don’t get me wrong, I am super chuffed about reaching 1000 followers on Instagram and another 1000 on Twitter recently. But I’m keen to maintain genuine followers who really get and love what Lucky Things Blog is all about.
- Encouragement…By recognising the smaller milestones we can encourage ourselves to work towards our goals. I am on a mission to declutter our home at the moment. I would love to blitz it all in one day but that would mean not seeing my family, not eating and not having any sleep! So I’ve made of list of areas of tidy up and I conquer one each weekend. I will get there…even if it’s slowly.
- We’re more amazing than we realise…By celebrating smaller milestones we also remind ourselves of what we’re capable of and how talented we are. Smaller milestones also remind us how we can get stuff done.
- Celebrating YOU…By setting your own milestones and not following others, you get to celebrate what you’re great at. If we keep comparing ourselves to others we forget about our own achievements. Don’t be shy and congratulate yourself of your achievement for the day or the week. Before bedtime, I like thinking about what I achieved that day, whether it was conquering the to-do list at work, teaching Big Munch some new words or doing ten minutes of exercise. As Denise from Afros and High Teas reminded me, your exercise regime doesn’t have to be lengthy and complicated. Just small bursts of exercise are great too. Her advice helped to inspire this milestone post.
So what small milestones are you going to celebrate today or this week? I’d love to know what some of them are so leave a comment below…
Catch up soon Lucky Things crew xx Sunita