Hi Lucky Things crew. Ah, the Bank Holiday weekend is now over. We planned a few things to keep us busy. It was great seeing our friends and family. On Bank Holiday Monday we headed to FUN DMC, the daytime hip-hop block party for little people (and their grown-ups). Ok, so it’s an excuse for the parents to listen to some hip-hop and RnB, bust a move and enjoy being out and about in a club. The kids love FUN DMC too.
A little more about the FUN DMC crew….It was set up in 2014 by resident DJs and founders Spin Doctor (The Doctor’s Orders) and Charlie Dark (Run Dem Crew/Attica Blues) who are also are busy parents. FUN DMC parties have appeared at the Royal Albert Hall, Camp Bestival, Jamie Oliver’s Big Feastival and Southbank Centre’s Imagine Festival. They have also joined forces with Mother’s Meeting at events.
Back to the party, here’s 7 things we loved about FUN DMC…
- The music….of course! Spin Doctor (featured in my recent Daddy Cool series) and Charlie Dark usually DJ. At the Bank Holiday special, The Nextmen also played. They played lots of nice hip hop classics as well as mummy-favourite RnB tunes to sing along to. I loved it when they played Creep by TLC and next to me a mum and her teenager daughter were singing along together. What a nice mummy-daughter moment! Towards the end, Spin Doctor dropped some Prince tracks. Now that was real treat for me as I didn’t make it to any Prince tribute nights a few months ago. Party classics like Kris Kross’ Jump and Skee-Lo’s I Wish (“I wish I was a little bit taller…”) were fun tunes for the kids to bounce around to.
- True family vibe…All grown-ups have to be accompanied by a responsible child! That’s one of the FUN DMC rules. So if you ain’t got your kid or niece/nephew/grandchild with you, you ain’t coming in. There were big groups of families and friends (shout to to InstaMum Cee from @HeyIsThatMe) and some couples came along with their newborns! One was dressed in a very cool Adidas tracksuit. FUN DMC runs from 12-3pm. This is usually Baby Munch’s nap time but as it was a special occasion she managed to nap in the morning instead (she knew she had to store up some energy for her moves!). We met one of Baby Munch’s mates down there and it was also great to bump into InstaMum Liz from @uhohmum.
- Time to try Milly’s Kidchup…This FUN DMC was also the launch party for this new healthy ketchup (the ingredients really are decent). I interviewed Milly for Lucky Things blog the other week. Her Kidchup is finally here. Any excuse to try it out, Baby Munch and I grabbed some chips from the BBQ. It was actually her first taste of ketchup. She loved it! Bottles sold out at FUN DMC but they’re also available on Milly’s website. A review of Milly’s Kidchup will be popping up on Lucky Things blog soon.
- Serious colouring in action…As soon as we got there, although I was trying to get onto the dancefloor, Big Munch spotted the colouring in tables. So she immediately started working on designing a new pair of colourful high tops! It’s a nice thing for the kids to do when they just want a bit of chill-time (whilst nodding their head along to the beats).
- Balloons…A party has to have balloons right. Of course, these also made great footballs for kids (and a few grown-ups) to kick around the dance floor. I got creative and managed to tie a straw to one so Baby Munch could hold it for longer!
- The dance floor and the dance-offs…The dance floor was pretty busy throughout the afternoon. It was cool seeing their parents dance with their kids. I couldn’t get Baby Munch off the dance floor. It’s hilarious as she’s definitely started dancing before walking! I loved hanging out with her on the dance floor though. Most bigger kids were considerate of the toddlers who were bopping next to them so there weren’t any kiddy tumbles. Also, the more serious dance moves led to prizes! There were a few dance off competitions, one for grown-ups and a few for the kids. Prizes were the signature FUN DMC chunky gold chains.
- Just an overall nice vibe…We didn’t make it to Notting Hill Carnival this year so it was nice to enjoy some music as a little family. The sun was shining and it was 100% Summer. It helped that it didn’t rain yesterday as the main part of FUN DMC was outside. There’s a canope over the outside dance floor at Cargo which meant we didn’t have to worry about covering the girls in extra sun cream (or from any rain clouds).
The next FUN DMC is at RichMix, Shoreditch on Sunday 4 September 2016 12-3pm. We love the RichMix venue. It’s quite a different space to Cargo as it’s more of a theatre/performance show venue. There’s loads of space at RichMix too which is perfect for the kids to run (and dance) around. Tickets are free but you still need to reserve them. You can grab them via fundmc.co.uk If you can’t make this date, they tend to run FUN DMC parties most months. So, sign up to their newsletters online.
So have you taken your kids to a daytime family rave? There are quite a few around now. What’s your all-time favourite hip-hop tune? What music to you love playing to your kids/nieces and nephews/little pals?