It was great hearing Melanie C‘s talk at Stylist Live. It was one talk I couldn’t miss. It was just over twenty years ago when The Spice Girls first came onto the scene. They changed the world of girl pop forever. I always rated Melanic C as she was also a big fan of tracksuits and trainers. Here’s seven things I learned from Melanie C that afternoon…
1. Sometimes it’s about simplicity…We heard more about the move from Mel C to Melanie C over the years. Melanie C talked about her new brand, right down to the font on her new album. She loves its simplicity, honesty and that it still has a feminine touch. I really like that it’s modern and strong.
2. Everyone needs a good team…Melanie C talked about how she can’t be across everything so she relies a lot on her small team. Whether your team is at work, your family, your friends or your business network – everyone needs support from others to achieve stuff. It’s impossible to do everything yourself.
3. Balancing work and family can be hard…Melanie C was totally honest that things are never perfect when juggling work commitments. She stressed the importance of making time for her seven-year old daughter. It was nice to hear that there was a five year gap in-between albums so she didn’t have to travel so much and be away from her daughter. It’s sweet to know her daughter loves that her mummy is a singer. If only my daughters loved my singing that much…
4. Making big decisions…Sometimes you have to make big decisions which are right for you and for that time in your life. You’re conscious that others may have different preferences for you but it’s important to follow what you want and feel is right.
5. Independence is empowering…Melanie C has achieved some great things as a business woman as well as an artist. She set up her own record label in 2005 so she could have more control over her work. This reminded me of the many people I’ve featured on the Lucky Things Inspire series who have set up their own businesses or followed creative adventures. Respect.
6. Everyone has to work hard to be successful...Melanie C reminded us how hard The Spice Girls worked. Something that’s easy to forget about celebrities and people in the music industry.
7. The Spice Girls were more than a pop band…I’ve never thought about this before but impact The Spice Girls had on a particular generation (mine!) was pretty incredible. They inspired girls and teenagers at the time to be bold and have their own goals. It was also OK to be different. Their individual legends live on. It’s cool to know they all branched off and did their own thing. Melanie C acknowledged that so many fans went on to be great women whether they’re now mums, building amazing careers or both.
It was a real treat saying hello to Melanie C after her talk. She has a great energy about her and not just a sporty one.
Melanie C’s new album A Version of Me is out on Red Girl records on Friday 21 October 2016. Go check out her lyrics when you can.