Hey there. Well us ladies love handbags don’t we? The world of style has created a separate fashion industry just for bags. When did I first caring so much about handbags? I think it was actually in my early twenties when I started my first proper office job.
One kind of bag that I’ve loved for a long time is the cross-body bag (what I call the CBB). Way before mummy days I’d always have a cross body bag. I think back then it looked kind of geeky. It felt safe on the streets of London. Nowadays cross body bags are everywhere. Along with it’s cousin the backpack, it’s a practical stylish accessory. I’ve recently discovered the cross body bags at Tu Sainsbury’s. Here’s seven reasons why every lady needs a cross body bag in her life…
- Keeping those essentials close…There’s something I love about keeping my debit card (now also used for my train travel to work), keys, iPhone, lip balm, lipstick and hand cream in my cross body bag. Perfect for when I’m on the London tube too. Cross body bags can be the size of a clutch or you can find larger sizes. I love my new red Tu cross body bag as my SLR camera kit can fit inside as well as a pair of pumps. I can fit my point and shoot camera in my smaller cross body bags.
- Hands-free!..When I’m out and about with one of my shoulder hand bags, I don’t feel as hands-free. I love using a cross body bag as it’s the perfect hand bag when pushing the buggy. The longer strap means that it can also hang off the buggy nicely.
- Many cross-body bags can be transformed into a shoulder bag. Perfect for those evenings out where you don’t want the strap across your outfit. You can often adjust the longer strap so it’s shoulder bag length. My smaller cross-body bags can also be converted into clutch bags for nights out, so look out for those with detachable straps. You’ve probably spotted by well-loved leopard-print clutch on my Instagram corner.
- They come in all shapes and sizes….I used to justify buying my leather cross-body bags as they were big enough for my SLR camera. On maternity leave I used much smaller ones to carry around my everyday essentials. Two of my Tu favourites out at the moment are Premium Grey Timeless Bag (£20) and the Teal Croc Kettle Bag £16
- A bag within a bag…One of my friends giggles about the fact I always have a handbag within a handbag! My clutch-sized cross-body bags also fit into my handbag rucksacks or bigger tote bags. When I change hand bags during the week I just have to make sure my clutch-sized cross-body bag is in it. The width of my red Tu cross body bag is great but it’s still comfortable to wear.
- A splash of colour…I remember the days when cross-body bags were purely functional so only came in black or tan if you were lucky. Nowadays all of my favourite high street stores and supermarkets are making cross-body bags in really cute colours. We’re spoilt for choice. I love wearing a bright handbag when I’m wearing a bit of leopard print.
- Overall, the cross body bag is a good little investment that makes everyday handbag life a bit easier. I love the details on my red Tu CBB like the gold trims, the inside compartments and the option of two straps.
This blog post is in collaboration with TU Clothing. Sadly this bag is now out of stock, but check out their other ones here (some other favourites are the Green Textured Satchel (sale price £7) and Navy Treasures Velvet Crossbody Bag).
What is your favourite handbag? What handbag do you love wearing right now? What’s your most practical handbag? Leave a comment below and share the handbag love.