Hey everyone. So hopefully you’ve been able to take a look at my previous post on the lovely Mothers Meetings party celebrating the new My K by Myleene range. One of the main reasons why we all headed to the Mothers Meetings‘ gathering was to hear Cherry Healey chat to Myleene about working on My K, being a #mumboss and other important stuff. As Cherry described Myleene, she’s a savvy business woman doing so many different things. We could see and feel her passion during the talk. It was cool that we had the chance to ask her so many questions.
Here’s 7 things I learned from Myleene that afternoon…
- Appreciate the team around you…Myleene talked about her My K brand and gave heaps of credit to her manager Severine and the team at Mothercare. She loves that she’s working alongside lots of working mums. My view is that we all have a good team behind us. It doesn’t have to be a big one. Our team could be our family, friends, colleagues, people who just look after us or people who have a positive impact on our lives.
- Learning from mistakes…Myleene reminded us that it is OK to make mistakes. She mentioned how the more mistakes we make, the more we learn plus failures make you. I loved this advice. I know making mistakes doesn’t feel great at the time, in fact some can feel pretty awful. We beat ourselves up about them don’t we? But I also feel that when you look back at that experience, it’s an opportunity to remember what you would do (and wouldn’t do) next time round.
- Doing a job before we’ve even hit the office…As working mums, Myleene talked about how we’ve already done a day’s work before we’ve arrived at the office or started our day job! I think this goes for stay at home mums too. Their career as SAHMs is just shaped differently as we’re all juggling so many roles and responsibilities.
- Work hard role models…Yes Myleene has celebrity status but at the end of the day she’s a person, a mum, a friend and a daughter. She wasn’t born a celebrity. She’s had to work hard to build her brand. Myleene told us how she grew up around a hard-working family. Her parents’ work ethic has been a positive influence on her. So I learned that it’s also about recognising the hard work of those around us and close to us, especially our parents. I know my own mum has worked really hard and she also came to this country to pursue a nursing career like Myleene’s mum. Myleene wants her daughters to know that she enjoys going to work, even if she has a tough day ahead. I learned that it’s about teaching our kids that going off to work and working hard can still be enjoyable. I loved it how she tells her girls that they will all be back home ETA 4.30pm where they can talk about their days.
- Fire in your belly…Myleene reminded me that it if you want to do something, don’t be afraid to feel determined and ambitious. She told us how her two daughters also have fire in their belly. I love seeing how determined children are. Myleene said something along the lines of how it’s 10% about what you say and 90% of what you do. She talked about if you have an idea then go out there and do it. Don’t give up and don’t take no for an answer. When she wanted to do different things to music, she had to keep bouncing back as people wouldn’t always give her a chance.
- Parenting efficiency…I loved what Cherry said about if you want something done, ask a mum to do it. Like dads too, we’re masters at juggling things on the to do list. I know we just have to get stuff done. We’re probably more organised than we realise! Just like one of the MY K t-shirts, we’re all super humans.
- Enjoying everyday moments…In the spirit of Lucky Things blog and celebrating things that make us happy, I asked Myleene about the one everyday thing she loves doing with her daughters. She told us how she loves swimming with them (they love the water and they’re like little fishes!)
I hope you enjoyed the round-up of the things I liked about Myleene’s talk. Who or what inspires you with your career or projects? How do you pick yourself up when you make a mistake? If you were there, what did you like about Myleene’s chat with Cherry? Go on, leave me a comment and let me know what you think…
Thanks for stopping by, enjoy Lucky Things