Mummy and daughter one-to-one dates are so important. I was Baby Munch’s plus one at the launch party for Myleene Klass’ My K kids range organised by Mothers Meetings and Mothercare. We actually arrived on time at the Town Hall Hotel in Bethnal Green – an achievement for any mama and babba. Cherry Healey was leading the talk with Myleene so I knew they’d be guaranteed giggles.
Jenny at Mothers Meetings along with her organised crew arranged a great afternoon. Older kids hung out at the craft table, mamas had fun browsing the new My K range and toddlers mooched around the party floor trying to reach the biggest balloons they’d ever seen.
There was plenty of time to chat and enjoy a few bubbles before the main event – Cherry talking to Myleene about all things My K, being a mum boss and other important stuff. Don’t forget to check out my other blog post on 7 Things I learned from Myleene Klass at the Mothers Meetings’ My K talk which captures the inspiring highlights from their chat. The Mothers Meetings crew spoiled us with cupcake treats and a fancy lunch courtesy of @julietsear and @atsukokitchen.
So, what else did we get up to at the My K launch party? Before the Cherry X Myleene talk began, the talented kids from Platinum Performing Arts surprised us with a flash mob street dance show. They showed us how comfy the new My K range is even when you’re jumping around and busting some serious breakdance moves.
After launching her original Baby K range for Mothercare in 2008, where it’s now available in 33 countries, Myleene has now rebranded her children’s range as My K. It was obvious a lot of mamas fell in love with the new My K range.
Here’s 7 things I loved about My K:
- Monochrome love…A few years ago you could never find any monochrome kids clothes. OK maybe you had white bodyvests and the odd pair of black leggings at halloween time! As Myleene says, in the past it was only about rainbow colours, pinks, blues (and of course yellows for the unisex options!) My K provides so many black, white and grey options which are fun to wear. The designs are pretty playful too. Not forgetting a dose of stylish grey leopard print which is right up my street. 100% #wishthiscameinmysize feeling as I flicked through the rails.
- Gorgeous accessories…We all know how much our little ones feel special wearing their favourite accessories. From the wellies to big bobble hats with bright orange pom poms, the My K ones are seriously cute. Hmm maybe I could squeeze into the leopard print bobble hat? There were even pretend reading glasses which I know my three-year old would love as her Daddy has just started wearing glasses.
- For the girls and boys in our lives…Suzanne, Head of Design at Mothercare explained how a lot of the My K range is unisex so that’s pretty cool. As I have two girls, I don’t want them to just wear pink, pink and more pink. I love the fact that people can buy gems from this range that will end up being nice hand-me-downs for a little brother or sister. What else does Suzanne love about My K? There are also some quirky details like the dress which comes with braces or the top which says “happy” in the bottom corner.
- Perfect for newborns…One of the first things I heard about a newborn’s development is how they love looking at black and white things. So bring on the monochrome for those new babbas! The baby wear in the My K range was really nice. One of my favourites was the Play Date body suit. The girls and me love a good play date.
- Colour combos…Although Big Munch is seriously into her hot pink, I know that My K garms will go well with her favourite colours like hot pink, red and purple. The monochrome theme makes the clothes really versatile.
- A whole lotta love…Some serious thought has gone into the manufacturing and design of these clothes. Myleene mentioned how the level of detail Mothercare go into is meticulous. After all, no one wants to buy baby or kids clothes that shrinks in the tumble dryer! When chatting to the Mothercare design team, it was obvious how much love they put into the My K range.
- Feeling good about yourself…You may have seen the Lucky Things blog post from Big Munch on confidence tips. It’s important kids feel good about themselves right? From “super human” to “being nice is everything”, lots of the My K tops feature empowering mottos. Big Munch loved opening the My K gift when she came back from nursery – her very own “Beyond Amazing” t-shirt. As they’re both IVF babies, I often call Big Munch and her little sister amazing so this t-shirt was made for them!
After the talk, Myleene was happy to have her pic taken with lots of us and made time to chat too. It was also nice seeing Cherry Healey again after hearing her hilarious talk at BritMums #BML16.
While Baby Munch snoozed away in the buggy, I talked to the Mothercare crew about the My K range. It was good hearing from the team who work so closely with Myleene on every detail. We also chatted about their top tips for working mums juggling a busy work life and a busy family life…
“Don’t stress. It’s not always about being super organised. You’re going to make mistakes and spend a lot of time feeling guilty. But everything you’re doing is for your children. Oh and book holidays! But remember it’s really alright to do nothing with your family and just stay at home” Noella, Head of PR, Mothercare
“Stay focused. Don’t waste any time when you should be working as that’s less time you get to spend with your family. Now I have kids I have to be more decisive. Oh and don’t take yourself seriously!” Marie, Clothes Designer, Mothercare
“Try to be organised. Lots of lists and stick to a routine if you can. Have back up plans. And plenty of wet wipes! Don’t worry about it when it doesn’t go to plan” Gemma, Brand Manager, Mothercare (special “lifesaver” hi-five to Gemma who found Baby Munch’s comforter cat!)
All in all, it was a pretty relaxed event. Baby Munch had a ball. It was lovely bumping into Denise from Afros and High Teas and Lizzie from Essex Mama. Plus I also met Judy from Pkboo, the lovely stylist Susan, Sophia and her gorgeous baby and Sophie from Esme Loves (thanks for taking the pics of us with Myleene).
Leaving this blog post with a big shout-out for the Mothers Meetings crew, you guys know how to put on a good party!
Hope to see you again around Lucky Things blog soon. x Sunita
You can check out the full range of My K childrenswear and accessories at www.mothercare.com
P.S. Remember to check out tomorrow’s post to hear more about Myleene’s talk….