So this is the first part of the Lucky Things Style Wardrobe Essentials series. When we’re happy with our wardrobe this can also help us to feel more confident. I’ll be talking about why you should focus on having a few key items in your wardrobe and what to look out for when you’re shopping around for them. With part one of this style series, I’m celebrating the leather jacket. About 6 years ago I invested in a nice leather biker jacket and it’s done a great job. Here’s seven things I love about a leather jacket..
- Timeless…Wardrobe essentials are supposed to be timeless right? There is something classic about a biker or nice leather jacket. If you like to stay on trend, there are always biker jackets on the high street and sometimes all year round. Years ago I also found a nice leather jacket with a nero collar. So you can go for this kind if you’re not sure about the biker style.
- True wearability…If you saw my blog post on tips on shopping and adding wearability to your wardrobe, you’ll know this style concept is a pretty important one to me. The biker jacket has true wearability as it will be a key piece in your wardrobe for years. Leather jackets were a god-send during maternity leaves as they made my outfits a bit more “me”.
- Wear it with anything…The great thing about the biker jacket is that you can literally wear it with trousers, jeans, dresses, jumpsuits and skirts – anything goes. It’s not just about black ones either. There are some great options online and on the high street like metallic leather jackets and pastel coloured jackets (which will be great for all seasons).
- Dress down…If you love wearing dresses but want your outfit to look a bit more casual, the biker jacket adds a bit of relaxed cool. Leather jackets do remind us of 1950s rock ‘n’ roll cool don’t they? Think Grease lightening. Wear it with trainers or flats for a casual outfit.
- Dress up!…The biker jacket can also be used to dress up an outfit. I wore another of my leather jackets to a 40th birthday party the other night over my jumpsuit. I love it that although I used to work in a City law firm, quite a few of the girls used to wear their leather jackets to work. So leather jackets can look really smart too when teamed up with tailored trousers or more formal dresses. I used to wear a leather look jacket at work over structured dresses and it was a nice alternative to wearing a blazer. Wear your leather jacket with heels for a dinner outing or a night out.
- Layer up!…I love wearing my leather biker jacket as a warm layer. If I buy new coats, they need to be roomy enough to fit a leather jacket underneath. So my leather jackets are also well used in the winter months. In the spring, I also wear them under my mac coats.
- Find a leather one if you can…As an old friend who I used to work in fashion with reminded me, wearing leather is like another skin so it’s going to keep you warmer. So it’s worth investing in a leather jacket if you can as it’s bound to last longer. Check out the lining and the stitching too. You need something resilient when it might be worn quite a lot. Zara and Marks and Spencer often have leather jackets at more reasonable prices but don’t forget to check out John Lewis if you want to browse different brands.
Do you like wearing leather jackets? If so what do you love about them? What do you like wearing your leather jacket with? Have you spotted any nice leather jackets online or on the high street recently? Leave a comment below and share the leather jacket love…
Catch up again soon with part 2 of the Lucky Things Style Wardrobe Essentials series – the skirt.
At the next Lucky Things Meet Up on Saturday 22 April 2017 we’re talking about Feeling Confident About Your Own Style (It’s not about being fashionable). We have a lovely panel featuring Alison Perry from Not Another Mummy Blog and long-time Fashion Stylist Susan Alcindor. This event is now sold out but you can email me at email@example.com if you want to go on the wait list for any cancellations or if you wish to hear about other dates. There are more Lucky Things Meet Ups being planned for 2017 so watch this space or follow me on Instagram @luckythingsblog…