Hey, hope your week is going OK. Well, this blog will be sure to brighten up your day. If you’ve seen my morning beauty routine or getting ready blog posts, you’ll know I’m a big fan of MAC cosmetics. It’s not often I’m swayed into using other brands. But MDM Flow caught my eye at Stylist Live the other month. Lots of people asked about what lip colour I was wearing at the Lucky Things Meet Up in October. It was the MDM Flow Liquid Matt Lipstick in hot pink Power.
“Lipstick shades that are bold and unusual, in a word, street style. Her brand is called MDMflow and inspiration unusual, Hip Hop” – Vogue Italia
There are quite a few things I love about MDM Flow as well as the lady behind the brand, Florence.
- Bringing together all of her experience… Florence studied Pharmacy at Portsmouth University. On a mission to create her own beauty brand she worked hard at a four-year degree Cosmetic Science at the London College of Fashion whilst working at the Benefit make up counters. Her MDM Flow brand combines her scientific knowledge as well as her shop floor experiences advising many women on the best make up for them and their lifestyles.
- I made it so I’m gonna’ wear it…Florence mentioned how she was wearing her own Liquid Matt Lipstick called Power. I didn’t realise but Flo also created her own make up range. Literally. I liked her energy and style so I promised to check out her stand afterwards where she would also be making lipsticks. It was pretty incredible watching Florence make her lipsticks.
- Juggling your aspirations and those of your parents‘…Florence admitted that growing up she thought she wanted to be a doctor as that’s what her parents wanted her to be. She talked about how at times she questioned what she was doing when she changed careers. Then her Dad said that if she really wanted to build her own beauty brand, she should try and be the best at it. You’ve got to love that encouragement. Many of us have been encouraged to follow particular career paths but sometimes we choose to follow our own. In my mum’s eyes, I was initially supposed to be a lawyer or a doctor.
- Staying power...I decided to try the testerLiquid Matt Lipstick at the MDM Flow stand. I then walked around the other stands and attended the last talk of the day. I had something to eat and another drink in the VIP lounge (Pip and Nut were making smoothies again!). My lip colour was still in tact. It really stayed on. I was excited about going back to pick up my own Liquid Matt Lipstick. I knew this would be a good one to wear when I was doing my talk at the Lucky Things Meet Up. There are lots of reasons why we love lipstick or lip colour so when we wear it, it has to stay put.
- The best for your shade of skin…During her talk, Florence shared the know-how and also talked about the best beauty products for darker skins. They’re basically great for any skin tone but Florence wanted to flag ones that are particularly good for different shades due to the deeper pigment.
- Try out different brands…Although Florence has developed her own make up brand, she still promoted lots of other great brands.I loved that she also spent most of her talk highlighting lots of other brands which we should consider using. It was bold and considerate. She took a supportive approach and the talk didn’t just focus on MDM Flow. She ran through her favourite products. Florence encouraged us to step out of our comfort zone and give different products ago.
- Things are possible…With hard work and determination, Florence’s MDM Flow range is now sold at Harvey Nichols. That’s a pretty cool achievement. I’m sure she has learned lots during her MDM Flow journey. I wonder if she expected her lipsticks and lip stains to be selling at one of the most stylish department stores in the UK.
What are your favourite beauty brands? What cosmetic kit do you not leave the house without? Have you tried any new brands recently? Which brands are you loyal to? Leave a little comment below, oh go on…